Thursday, July 1, 2010

[Games] Fable 2: "Will you choose the path of good or evil ... or a different game?"

Fable 2 has been on my "maybe" list for a while now, so when it dropped to $10 from GameStop this past week I finally gave in. It took a little bit to get into, but once I got to the first town after the prologue I started to really enjoy it. I immediately set out to maxing out my blacksmithing, wooing townsfolk with heroic poses and finger pointing, getting married, and buying property. After quite a few hours of these shenanigans I sat out to finally advance the story.

The objective was straight-forward enough: proceed to finding a person of interest via a brightly marked trail, ultimately taking me into a dungeon. This dungeon, however, proved a little tricky to navigate, as I imagine most dungeons are, and in my zeal to run up an incline I wasn't suppose to I got stuck in the environment. After 5 minutes of frantically moving every which way I could imagine in an attempt to free myself then 15 minutes of Googling to find a solution to no avail, I decided that my best bet would be to exit and reenter the game. This, however, turned out to be a monumentally dumb idea, though, because this saved my game in this broken state. Googling for advice about this new and improved predicament, however, did reveal an answer: I was screwed and would have to start over.

My first thought was "this is why you make multiple save files, doofus". Upon reflection, however, I didn't remember being presented with such a choice, unlike just about every other game I've ever played. Double-checking I found out, sure enough, Fable 2 intentionally avoids the use of multiple save files in a single playthrough. So much for this game being all about choice, eh?

I'm gonna use my power of choice to choose not to play this game again.

No comments:

Post a Comment