Monday, June 21, 2010

Phone Interface Foible

Using my wife's cell phone to find a number last night I discovered a rather large design issue in its interface. The top-left button has an icon "<-", yet it is not a Back button, as I've been convinced it should be from over 15 years of web browsing. How is possible that anyone designs an interface like this? I have to imagine every single person who has anything to do with designing cell phone interfaces has been browsing the Internet for at least 10 years. How is it possible that no one thought that the average citizen would recognize this symbol and its positioning as a Back button?

What does this button do instead, you might ask? It dials the contact. My scenario with this feature was browsing contacts, clicking the wrong contact from the list (taking me to that contact's detailed info page), immediately clicking what I thought was the Back button and accidentally dialing the contact. This scenario occurred twice before I actually got the contact information I needed.

The only way to make this feature worse would be to have it automatically dial 911.

No comments:

Post a Comment