Thursday, February 18, 2010

[Dogs] PETA hates breeders

So, PETA managed to get through Westminster security this year and stage a protest, holding up signs that said “Mutts Rule” and “Breeders Kill Shelter Dogs’ Chances.” Having gone the route of getting a rare breed dog from a breeder I'm often asked, with varying degrees of disdain, why I opted to go that route versus getting a dog from a shelter. My answer is that my wife and I did a lot of Internet research, quiz taking, and visiting to find the breed of dog which best matched our lifestyles. This usually quells the inquisition, with only the hardest of core pursuing beyond that. This has prompted me to learn the life lesson that people don't like the breeder vs. shelter decision being compared to that of having your own baby vs. adoption.

I certainly understand peoples' frustrations, though; I don't like the fact that shelters are as prevalent as they are myself. I by no means encourage people away from shelter dogs either. However, it's a tad irritating that people's ire in the situation is directed at people who celebrate dogs instead of the people that actually cause dogs to end up in shelters. Admittedly, it's hard to track down all the irresponsible dog owners who don't fix their dogs (because of the minor expense, apathy, or naive feeling of "keeping them natural") that ultimately leads to unintended litters, in turn creating the majority of dogs in shelters. However, since when is it acceptable to attack a tangentially related party because you can't get at the actual culpable party? I'm gonna let you think that one over.

As for how PETA should go about tracking down the real responsible parties, might I suggest Wal-Mart as a more apt protest location? I'm just throwing that out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment